Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Just Keep Drawing, Just Keep Drawing (Post 2)

At the beginning of this week I started to do some more extensive research on animation. I went through khanacademy.org, disneyanimation.com, and quite a few TED talks which gave me a lot more information than I actually need. But I did learn a lot about the basics of animation that I probably could not get by without knowing. For example: animators commonly animate in 24 frames per second (fps), but you can also animate in 12fps at the risk of making it look more choppy. 24fps is referred to as "Ones" and 12fps is referred to as "Twos". After doing the math, I decided that I will animate in twos. So now I will have to draw 720 frames if I want to make a minute long animation (that's at least better than 1440 frames...)

I also practiced some animation basics. I drew myself a cheat sheet for a simple walk cycle and created a bouncing ball GIF. And a lot more work went into that GIF than you think, if you aren't impressed with it. I had to make sure the spacing was right between each frame so the ball would move slightly slower at the top of its arch. I had to change the shape of the ball to show its momentum and its elasticity when hitting the invisible ground. I had to figure out... how to make it into a GIF... which was probably the most difficult part for me.




Look at it! It's so cute! I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy. Can anyone else not stop watching this?

Along with the information I had gathered about digital animation, I learned about two other preliminary stages of creating an animated movie: concept art and story boarding. I have two characters in my short film, and I needed to figure out exactly what they would look like before I drew them into my story. So I filled two pages of my sketchbook (pencil and paper: something I actually know how to do!) with random little girls and teenage boys. I am not going to lie I came up with some pretty awesome characters that I wish I could have used. But I picked my favorite drawing for each character and began to figure out the details. I changed the heights, the hair, the facial structures, the clothing, the hands... almost everything until I found the perfect fit. 

Once my characters were complete I started to create a story board (once again in my sketchbook. Yay!). I made a grid sort of like a comic book and started figure out each scene. I sketched each phrase of the film. One block would take up anywhere from 1 to 7 seconds. It would represent the angle of the "camera" and what would go on in the scene. I wrote little notes underneath each block in order to remember what would happen, approximately how many seconds it would take up, and how many frames that would need to be. Here's an example of what story boarding should look like: (this is not the video I am going to be making... just for clarification)


By this part, I was starting to see my ideas become concrete. It made me realize how hard this really was going to be. Did I want to switch the angle to the back or slightly above? Should I have the girl do this first? Or would it work best if fade out to this scene? I also realized how many different sequences would occur before one minute was up, and what I should actually fill my short film with so it would be watchable...

So now I thought I was on my dandy way to making a short film. I grabbed my computer and my tablet excited to actually start working. But before I could say P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sidney, my first problem slapped me in the face. My digital tablet wasn't working. Every time I put the pen on the surface, a little light turned red and it didn't let me do anything. So I stressed out for a while trying to figure out what the heck was wrong. Finally I went to my graphic design teacher, Dr. McGonigle (sorry, not the professor...), and being the lovely person that she is, she offered to lend me a different drawing tablet. All of my worry went away in the blink of an eye, and I was like WOAHHH and she was like WOAH and then I was like woahhh.

Again, I went on my way to create my short film. This time seemed perfect, and everything was working! After one or two hours, I had a perfect sequence of my little girl walking down the sidewalk. But you know what I forgot to do? Save. And you know what my computer decided to do at that same moment? Freak out and crash. When my computer turned on again, there was nothing. "No Nemo! I will find youuuu!" I searched my computer in and out for any auto saved files or anything I could recover, but there was nothing. I lost all of my work. 

So I decided to make the best of my misfortune and start over. I simplified my characters and made them easier to draw. The next day I caught up to where I was, and for some reason, I felt better than I did before I lost all of my work. Sure I don't trust my computer any more and am going to save a backup file onto a flash drive (ooh remember those things!), but now I have hope that I might actually be able to finish this.

Have a great week guys, and come back next time to see an update on my progress! I plan to finish outlining my film in the software and start filling in scenes! And I will end with a joke that a poor little clown fish worked so hard on, because why not?


...A sea cucumber turns to the mollusk and says, "With fronds like these, who needs anemones?"


Weekly comments:
Jess
Allison
Liliana

12 comments:

  1. Dani, you are my absolute favorite person and I love you and this blog is adorable oh my
    God. It's so cute, I LOVE the themed posts, and every reference makes me want to scream it's adorable. I will be following your blog religiously because I cannot wait to see what your next themes are going to be. As for your actual project, I'm so excited to see the film, because that is HARD. Animation is crazy, I have no artistic talent whatsoever so the fact that you're able to try something as ambitious as this. One of my favorite things was reading about how you're developing your characters. I love that you're creating your characters from scratch, not only appearance-wise but personality-wise as well. You're creating human beings and you're going to make them move and do stuff and IM JUST SO EXCITED OKAY WOW. I'll be looking forward to the movie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Zoe! I'm glad that you are so excited about my project! but don't get your hopes too high... Well actually I think I can do it! I just have to get a lot more time in than I already have. My characters are a lot simplified since I came to terms with the time I had to get it done. Its nothing special, buts its teaching me a lot!

      Delete
  2. Honestly, your blog is so totally 'Dani' that it's awesome. All the references and jokes you sneak in there are great. And it's cool because you have some real information in there too, not just babbling. I'm curious - are we going to get to see exactly how far you are on your story or do we have to wait for the big reveal at the end? And yes, the little bouncing ball is adorable. I have no doubt the film's gonna be awesome, just as much as this blog. Good luck with everything (crossing my fingers for no more computer glitches)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liliana, I think your going to have to wait until the big reveal to see what i've done. It's not that I am trying to build suspense or anything, its just that I have random clips and pieces all over it. I'm not working in a linear way, which is actually proving difficult to figure out my progress....

      Delete
  3. DANI I LOVE THIS SO MUCH
    This blog is so you, I can hear you saying all this stuff! All the Nemo references, all the cute and adorable puns, it's all so great and I can't wait to see/read your next blog posts. It's really a shame that you've already encountered problems so early in this process, but hey, redoing things gives you more practice, right? Also once you've redone a few things you'll know what to do and it'll typically be a bit quicker and better anyway, so it's sort of like a blessing in disguise. Anyway, I can't wait to see what you come up with because it'll be so adorable and so Dani-y that my computer will explode with cuteness and unicorns and rainbows and all things lovely. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah thanks Catelyn, I am trying to to look at all of my issues as an opportunity. I predict a bunch of problems in the future of this project too, but I know I will find a way to overcome them.

      Delete
  4. First, the Nemo references are seriously amazing and I love them. Second, this seems like such a cool project. It's one thing to think of a short story and plan the whole thing out, but it's another thing to draw 720 frames of it! That's what I call dedication. Whenever I think of animation, I just think about drawing lots of pictures that change little by little each time. I guess I never really thought about story-making aspect of it. The storyboard you made is very cool, and it looks like it'll be really helpful when it comes to making your final product. This project is perfect for you - you are already so artistically talented, so you are taking art to the next level by using technology (which you can't always trust :)). I absolutely love your blog and will definitely be following it!
    Can't wait to see your progress with your danimation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! YEah this is a real challenge for me, and I love it! Yeah I love the story boarding aspect of it the best. Maybe I will do that when I grow up.

      Delete
  5. I think the animation on the ball looks really solid, and I presume that you are using Flash. I have tried learning animation in my free time before, but I found it too strenuous. I typically doodle in flash at times, making still frames. But I see it is coming along very well, I hope you are able to put your movie together the may you imagined it, and that you can bring your pictures to life.
    Also, if you had any time, you can check out Domics on YouTube. He does a lot of cartoon Flash work and has a couple of videos on his setup and how he animates. Most of his animation videos are really smooth and include a lot of personality much like your blog. I think you may be able to pick a couple things up from watching some of his animations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eric! I will definitely take a look at some of his videos! However, (even though I haven't looked at his animation yet) I don't think I will make my animation as good as his... But most of my project is just to get the hang of using the technology and the process. I also am sort of incorporating the non-smooth-ness (the word to describe this is slipping my mind...?) into my style of animation. Especially since I am using 12fps, and I am not really good at it yet...

      Delete
  6. The Nemo theme through out your blog was awesome. Also animation is really interesting to me so your project seems really cool. I amazes me that to animate a one minute animation someone hast to sit down and draw upwards of 720 pictures. It requires a lot of patience and an attention span that I don't think I have, so good for you. Out of curiosity how many separate things did you have to draw for your squishy animation.I see that you are using both a note pad and a digital tablet, I was wondering what the purpose of using both was. I'm sorry for your technological problems but am glad to hear that you fixed them. I am already excited to see your final work .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Basically what I am doing is drawing all of the preliminary stuff ( creating my characters and figuring out the outline) in my sketchbook because it is easier for me to use paper and pencil. Then, I am creating my final product all on the computer.

      Delete